[vc_row][vc_column width=”3/4″][vc_column_text]Each month, we receive a bulletin from the Chelan Douglas Health District. I always enjoy reading interesting snippets about the human body and thought you might too. This is from their “Medical Trivia” column.
- The mosquito is the most dangerous insect in the world. 3000 people die each day from malaria. World-wide, 515 million people are infected.
- Hepatitis C is 4000 times more infectious than HIV.
- Over our lifetime, the average person will breathe in around 40 pounds of dust.
- When we blush, our stomach lining goes red too.
- If we put together all the time we spend blinking, we would see blackness for 1.2 years.
- Our lungs inhale over two million liters of air everyday.
- From 30 years old and onward, we gradually shrink.
- There are about 25 million cells and tissues reproduces every second in your body. This is almost like reproducing the entire population of Canada every second.
From other sources:
- By age sixty, most people have lost half of their taste buds.
- A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
- Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.
- Knowledge is growing so fast that ninety per cent of what we will know in fifty years time, will be discovered in those fifty years.
- Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour – about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
- Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
- The most common blood type in the world is Type O. The rarest, Type A-H, has been found in less than a dozen people since the type was discovered.
- The average human body contains enough: iron to make a 3 inch nail, sulfur to kill all fleas on an average dog, carbon to make 900 pencils, potassium to fire a toy cannon, fat to make 7 bars of soap, phosphorous to make 2,200 match heads, and water to fill a ten-gallon tank.
- During medieval times, human mummies were ground into powder and used as medicine.
- If your mouth was completely dry, you would not be able to distinguish the taste of anything.